The fun thing about this pattern is that it is a layer cake pattern. It is time to cut into those precious layer cakes I know you have been hoarding and start sewing some beautiful quilts!
The quilt above is the large size version of the pattern using a full layer cake – 42 10″ squares. It measures 72″ x 84″ and was made using Barcelona by Zen Chic for Moda.
Above is the smaller version – measuring 60″ x 72″ and requiring only 30 squares from a layer cake. The smaller pattern was created first because I had a partial layer cake left of the Quilt Blocks line. This quilt was my November goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes and was gifted to a wonderful family friend on Sunday. She loved it!
Fabric Requirements (Large Version):
- 1 Layer Cake (with 42 squares) – for main fabric
- Option One: 1 layer cake of solids for background fabric
- Option Two: Solid background fabric – 3 ⅛ yards. Sub-cut into forty-two 10” squares
- Backing Fabric – 5 ¼ yards
- Binding Fabric (for 2.5” strips) – ⅝ yard
Fabric Requirements (Small Version):
- 30 squares of main fabric – 10”x10”
- 30 squares of background fabric – 10”x10”
- Backing Fabric – 3 ½ yards
- Binding Fabric (for 2.5” strips) – ½ yard
- Rotary Cutter
- Rulers: 1 measuring at least 15” long, one square 6.5” or larger ruler
- Basic Sewing Supplies
I was very blessed because Vicki from Quilting Lodge quilted my larger version – which is a Christmas gift for someone. Check out her amazing quilting on my dizzying diamonds and pinwheels. She managed to bring so much movement into the overall design. You can see more of her quilting and the quilt here on this post.
The pattern is now available for purchase in my Craftsy Shop is $7.50 for the pdf instant download. I hope you enjoy!